Yesterday, I took the plunge and braved the tube on my own. Thankfully I've had good lessons from Fran and coped very well! I went to the portobello markets at Notting Hill. I enjoyed the quirky little shops more than the markets and loved the architecture and tree lined streets.
When I returned, we went to the movies in Clapham. Jen and I saw 'Behind the Candelabra' which was a movie about Liberace. It was quite confronting but well acted by Michael Douglas and Matt Damon (who played his toy boy - one of them anyway!). We walked out of the film feeling a bit seedy!
Hundreds of old sewing machines lined the walls of this tailor's shop
This is the gorgeous suburb of Clapham where we went to the movies or picture house as it is called over here.
Good on you Helen! So much to explore in so many precincts isn't there? I remember Clapham Junction on the bus route to where I stayed in Wandsworth.there's been a lot of improvement since I was there last century! Are you planning to visit the British Museum and V&A? I'm so glad you're enjoying yourselves and I'm thinking of you all as the wedding approaches!
ReplyDeletelove
Cathie
Hi Cathie, I'm hoping to visit the britIsh museum and the Tower of London when we come back towards the end of July. It's all the tourists and lining up that is putting me off!
ReplyDeleteHi Helen
ReplyDeleteWell done re solo tubing! Like you I also enjoyed the shops and the general ambience of portobello road more than the markets. Did you notice an old cinema there? Ian remembered going there quite a lot when he lived in London. He was so shocked to see it was still there that he went in for a look and a chat with the staff there.